Monday, August 25, 2008

Life Lessons...Or so I think!

Today was one of those mornings as a mom where you wonder if anything you do even matters! To be quite honest, it was one of those mornings where I also laughed more than I have in a while! I am reading this book to Gentry and Nate that has scriptures at the bottom of each page that they repeat. One of the scriptures was from 1 Peter 5:5 about humility. When it was Gentry's turn to say the scripture he repeated it, and then without blinking an eye said 1 Peter Pan 5:5. My laughter was uncontrollable, for those of you who know Gent, you know that we never leave the house without our sword and he is always "Capin Hook" singing "yo ho, yo ho a pirates life for me" Both boys sat starring at me as a laughed until my eyes watered. He not only did it once, but repeated the scripture again.

Then we moved on and I contained myself. The last scripture was about loving each other. In my mind it was perfectly obvious that I was explaining this concept so that both boys fully understood I was talking about them loving each other. Riiiiight! As soon as I turned to both boys to get some feedback Gentry explains how "God just loves Santa, and his reindeer, and all the pesents he brings to me" he proceeds to say "and Santa loves God and Jesus and he brings Jesus pesents, he does" I guess he didn't get the mom memo I sent about how I was talking about him and Nate. Half heartedly I smiled, realizing my son will be 3 in 2 weeks, and Nate just turned 5, do I really think they will grasp these lessons! Nooooooo, but nice try anyways mom. I put the boys down for a nap and laughed at myself for being a little on the serious side with their learning capacity!

God's lesson of the day for me: Laugh at yourself, don't take things to seriously, and appreciate that your kids are only kids once and their innocence is a priceless gift that will not always be around. Thanks God for having grace with me in raising these kids!!!!!!

1 comment:

Wesley Null said...

Sounds familiar, Ashley! On Friday morning while waiting for a sitter, I got locked out of the house by one of my kids! Never a dull day!

Wes