Thursday, August 13, 2009

Favorite Conversation of the Day...

I was sitting in the chair with Gentry and we had just said our memory verses for the night. I couldn't quit laughing after this conversation, I love the innocence of his sweet little thoughts. Oh the joys of motherhood!!!

Gentry: "Mom, how does God get in your heart? Like does he come in our body or something?"

Ash: "No he doesn't physically come in our body, God actually stays in Heaven"

Gentry: "But you said He comes in our heart, how does He get in our heart?"

Ash: "God stays in heaven, but He left the Holy Spirit here with us to help us make good decisions and love people"

Gentry: "How does the Holy Spirit get in our heart? I've never seen the spirit."

(Obviously at this point I was not giving him the answer he wanted or needed!)

Ash: "Well it's a spirit, we can't see it, but it's here with us."

At this point Gentry does some sort of a motion like he is yawning, then like he's chocking, and literally grabs his throat like something is in it, and then starts coughing. I'm thinking he's choking so I sit up and lean him forward.

Ash: "Are you okay? Are you choking?"

He then looks at me like nothing happened.

Gentry: "Oh mom that was just the Holy spirit coming inside my heart, but you can't see him."

He then proceeded on with an entirely different conversation like nothing ever happened!!!!


I literally thought I was going to die of laughter! He was pretty concerned with how God or the Holy Spirit got inside your heart, and I guess if I was 3 that is something that would concern me also! I was trying to keep the conversation on a level that he could understand, but somehow it's just not what he needed!!!

Sometimes I feel so inadequate to answer all of his many question (and boy does he have lot's of them these days!) especially when it comes to his spiritual life. I just keep praying that God gives me wisdom and guides me through motherhood to be able to love Gentry and help him navigate his way through life. I have to admit, in so many of our conversations, I just laugh because his thoughts are so sweet and sometimes quite funny!! Regardless if I give the right answer, I love that he is curious and wanting to know about a relationship with Christ (and the Holy Spirit, who we apparently swallow to come into our heart!) I am so thankful that God holds my little boy in the palm of his hand, so no matter how many times I mess up or give the wrong answer, he is still able to be redeemed. What a comforting promise our Savior gives us!!

1 comment:

Taryn said...

While I will never understand until I have my own- the girl I nanny for makes me feel the same way sometimes. The other night- when I put her to bed she looked at me with so much sincerity I almost died- and she asked "Taryn, is God real or pretend?" I am not her mother- so I can only tell her what I think- so I told her that I thought god was real- but like you I felt totally incapable of truly explaining it. (As a side note- she told me that she thinks that God likes to color- she is sure of it.)

I like the Gentry choked on the holy spirit. he is so funny.