Monday, October 7, 2013

Annexation of Guanacaste!

There's so many things I didn't think through before we moved here.  Like, it never crossed my mind that we would be celebrating different and new holidays!  (Before you go and judge me, it's not like I don't realize that there are different holidays in different countries and cultures, it's just that wasn't on the forefront of my mind as we got ready to move to a different country!) :)  

Recently on a walk I asked some girlfriends, "Hey so when do the kids get out for Thanksgiving?"  (Again I realize I'm not in the US, it's just a habit!  For 29 years now, I have celebrated Thanksgiving, so give me just a little bit of grace here)  To which my dear friends replied smiling "We don't have Thanksgiving here"  Oh yes that's right, I'm in a different country!!!!!  

One of the fun things having Gentry in school here, is we are learning all about this great country of Costa Rica and getting to celebrate all new holidays along with the ones we celebrate.  July 25th is the celebration of the Annexation of Guanacaste.  Here's a quick run down in case you need to brush up on your Costa Rican history :)

Guanacaste is a providence in Costa Rica.  It was originally apart of Nicaragua.  Nicaragua was active in many civil wars at the time and so the inhabitants of Guanacaste requested to become a part of Costa Rica and were granted this request by the Central America Federation on July 25th 1824.  The "Guanacostecos" take great pride in being Costa Ricans.  The celebration includes traditions like parades, folk dances, typical music, and bull fights!  

We didn't get to see any bull fights, but the kids had that Thursday off of school and then on Friday had a school performance.  Every grade performed a dance and wore "traditional" Costa Rican dress.  It was nothing short of adorable, and it was fun to be apart of the culture here in Costa Rica.  

I was slighty frustrated when I went through the 50+ pictures we had from the performance to not find one single shot of G dancing!!!!  Are you kidding me?? (Mind you I was obviously not behind the camera or you know I would have some shots!)  With that said, he might have been the biggest party pooper of all that day anyways.  He was so embarrassed, he dare not smile once during the entire dance!!  Good thing I'm a semi-laid back mom cause this kid certainly does not perform on my command!!!  For the week before, I talked to him about just smiling, and at least doing the dance that the other kids were doing, his response was unwaivering everytime we spoke of it..."Mom, I am just not a performer like those other kids, that's not me, and you said it was okay to be different"  Well he certainly proved my point as he drug his feet along while other kids skipped, put his head down as others looked up happy to be in the lime light, and refused to even smile once as I stood as close by to see his sweet face.  Oh well, he might not be a performer for the masses, but in the privacy of our own home you should see the MJ moves he bust out when no ones looking, and the notes he hits in the shower when he thinks no ones listening!! To each his own, to each his own :)

The purple outlined area is Guanacaste


The first graders!  You will notice my party pooper top row 3rd from the back, proving even more that he is not a performer :)  Thanks for making 1 of the 3 pictures your in a great shot!


All the pretty girls in G's class!

At least he waved the flag.  If nothing else, he has pride in the country of Costa Rica :)


The boys showing off their manly burro flag waving :)


Jacob, Nick, and Cameron waiting for their turn at the dance floor.  These boys know how to bust a move :)


Josiah


What girl wouldn't want to wave that dress around?

Cute little Lidia :)


Bowing to each other...or the bull I'm not sure

She took the dancing very seriously


Thomas in action


I don't know any of the kids in this group, but at every event I can't help but watch these cute little peeps!  They are the youngest class and are either being absurdly adorable or crying and either way it's so cute to watch :)

Seriously adorable!


Our old buddies Gabriel and Katherine :)  




No comments: