Sunday, October 13, 2013

Science Fair

As I mentioned in my last post we have loved all the school functions!  School here is so different than in the States.  I find myself often thinking "that would never happen back home!"  I'm slowly but surely trying to let go of my expectations and embrace the differences.  One of the biggest changes for me is they don't have an open door policy.  When G was in kindergarten and 1st grade, Jeff or I helped in the classroom at least once a week, helped plan/attended parties, went to the PTO meetings, and basically every time there was an opportunity to be there if I could I would.  I loved it, and G loved it.  

Here we drive through the drop off line, let them out and literally the gates close and they are in school!!  We went the other day to pick G up and literally we had to wait at the gate while they went to his classroom, they didn't even let us on school property!!!  Even when they have parties, we get a note saying what to send with our kiddo and that's it!!  I realize I sound like one of those crazy moms who wants to be overbearing and apart of every single little thing, but in reality I just want a little glimpse of what life is like for G in the classroom here, I don't have to come every week people, but my kids been in school and beyond the couple of all school activities where the parents get to come, and 10 minutes of dropping off cupcakes for G's birthday (which I was stopped at the gate and questioned by the gate Nazi to see if I had cleared it with the teacher!  Of course I had, I knew I would be interrogated!)  I haven't been there during school at all in 7 months!!  I sometimes feel like how Molly looks when she really wants to come with us in the car and stands at the window with her saddest puppy dog face and droopy ears, saying through those sad eyes "please please please let me come, I just want to be with you"  Yes that's about how I feel as I stand pathetically at the closed gate of Las Nubes smiling really big to let them know I'm really nice, just wishing they would let me in!!!  In my mind there has got to be all this cuteness and fun things going on all day, and I'm just dying to know what his day is like at school!  

All that to say when G does have a school function I am so excited beyond measure to go!!  So here's a couple of pictures from the science fair!



So serious G :)


Josiah's group made ice cream, it was actually pretty good!

I think he was pretty proud of his ice cream :) 
G and Thomas!


Hard at work

1st graders

Checking out the other projects

From the looks of other parents, I think it's safe to say we are all so appreciative to actually be apart! :)

Curls :)

Teacher Megan trying to tame the boys from breaking the science project :)

Buddies

Hang loose boys :)

Showing me how things work 

Teacher Jordan :)

I love that sweet face!

Josue :)



Loved listening to G explain his science projects :)

This didn't have anything to do with the science fair but this is the pool at G's school that they use for P.E


No comments: