Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The week we knew we were pregnant...

In reality we have known that we were pregnant since a little before Thanksgiving, but it hasn't been until recently that it is setting in that we are INDEED PREGNANT!  

I truly have no huge complaints with this pregnancy. (well maybe a few...like some normal pregnancy uncomfortables, I seriously just need some Chipotle barbacoa tacos with guacamole, and it's so spankin hot here I feel like I AM an oven living IN an oven and I would love my family and everyone else around so much more if air conditiong was a part of normal life here!!!!!!!)   I have felt really good, no morning sickness, no huge aches and pains, no food aversions (in fact I really just like food in general!).  Life has continued as normal for the most part and I haven't felt like I have had to slow down too much.  There are the normal things like falling asleep at 8pm every night (sometimes while reading to G, or even twice while praying with him!), or the occassional food swings but other than that, I feel really good and sometimes forget I am pregnant. I haven't even felt super emotional (unless I'm hungry) and haven't had any crazy mood swings.  (I will admit this last statement is from my persepctive and Jeff might have different thoughts, but it's my blog and I'll write what I want to, and I think I have been rather peachy for a hot (I mean temperature outside) preggo lady :)

*Note: Food swings are not to be confused with mood swings.  Food swings are when you are so hungry, nothing matters at all until you get food in your stomach.  They happen when you least expect it and are usually accompanied by uncontrollable tears, and an inability to make up your mind on what exaclty you need, you simply know you need food asap.  In most cases your son says "get mom whatever food she needs now, she is really sad about being hungry" and your husband either runs around the kitchen taking things out of the cabinet or fridge showing you all the options trying to make the tears stop or if you are in the car quickly learns to drive to whatever restaurant is closest that he knows you like.  The food swing instantly goes away as soon as you get food in your stomach, it's a fairly quick recovery and as long as you have food readily available wherever you are, you should not be in any danger. Your husband should take precautionary measures in case you should ever be caught without food.  Tissues and accomodating gentle responses will get him and any innocent bystanders enough time to get you to the nearest emergency food source.  

All that to say week 18 rolled around and it was clearly evident that there was a pregnancy in the house!  I was in my bedroom with the air cranked up as low as it would go watching Downton Abbey.  I stormed out of the room after the finale of season 3 where my (SPOILER ALERT!!!!) darling Mathew Crawley dies moments after he and Lady Mary Crawley have their first baby!  (To the writers of Downton Abby, shame on you!  Rude! That's all I have to say about you people) In utter shock and disaray, with tears in my eyes I stumbled out into the living room to share the shocking news with Jeff, only to find Jeff with misty eyes watching the ending of The Pursuit of Happiness.  (To all you men out there just waiting to pounce on my husband for having emotions, zip it, man up and acknowledge you occassionaly have them too unless you're a heartless bloak completely out of touch with the real world.) 

I sat and watched the ending of The Pursuit of Happiness with Jeff which just made me cry more.  After the movie he said throughout the movie he went into G's room a couple of times and snuck some kisses and hugs to G cause he was so thankful for our lives and G, and I then proceeded to explain to Jeff how devastating losing Mathew was to Downton, and more importantly how it impacted me...and it was then in mid story when I realized and actually said aloud "wait a minute, I'm so pregnant, and this pregnant lady is rubbing off on you!"  After which we both just started laughing, acknowledging that our emotions might be heightened and we were most definitely pregnant :)  (I hold true to the statement that I have "not had any crazy mood swings")

I'm not kidding the very next morning I woke up and I felt the hard little tummy pouch!  Up until then it still just felt and looked like the ever so hated chub stage of pregnancy!  It was like we had to acknowledge we were pregnant or something before the little pouch showed up :)  

It was also in week 18 that Gentry flung himself on the floor before school frantickly trying to put his belt on all while crying "my arms don't work, they can't put my belt on, I can't go to school without a belt"...I'm gonna chalk that off to pregnancy hormones too...certainly not a bratty 8 year old fit from a boy who went surfing at 5:30 am the day before with his dad and was ridiculously tired...yes most definitly pregnancy hormones.  

At 15 weeks the most important question...which board will baby choose?  Skate or Surf?



20 weeks and the keyboard is in plain view, but I fear it will slowly be disapearing over the next couple of months :)

Those homemade granola bars look amazing to momma and baby!



1 comment:

Mackenzie Turrill said...

YEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! THIS is the post I've been WAITING FOR!!! :))))))))) xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Now, when do we get to find out who's on board in there so I can know if I need to send a Buff cheer outfit, or Buff football jersey??! (unless she wants to be the next Katie Hnida, Kicker?!?)

LOVE the image of your boys scurrying around the kitchen finding you food...xo SO HAPPY FOR YOU!