Monday, October 6, 2008

Human Child or Elf Child?

As long as I can remember my mom has LOVED the holiday season. Growing up our house was decorated like the north pole every Christmas. (She is also known as Holly around the holiday season, named by her friend Pixy (Robin Morgan) who also LOVES Christmas. I was dubbed as Noel since I at least participate in the putting up and taking down of Christmas even if I don't share the same intensity level of love for the holiday season) Her Christmas season lasts from October to January (sometimes even February), the woman absolutely LOVES Christmas and all the decorating that comes with it!! Every year she manages to add more and more, inside, outside, my house, Tandi's house, Gentry's house, and whoever else will let her sprinkle her holiday cheer around! Of course when I was younger, it was just annoying because we had to help put it all up and clean up, but the last couple of years I have been savoring the special traditions and memories it adds to our holidays.

Last year, Gentry was especially interested in Christmas. Most 2 year olds are, but his fascination was beyond the presents. We baked Christmas goodies, and he still ask if we can bake some Christmas cookies. He loved the tree and would often add balls, cars, and men to help decorate. We bought him a Christmas music cd from Pottery Barn Kids, and I can't even begin to explain the light in his eyes when he first heard it. He began to listen to it every night to fall asleep to, and soon all of us were signing "Santa Claus is coming to Town" even though it was mid February. The odd part is, it is not really a children's cd, it has people like the Jackson 5, Beach Boys, and Harry Connick Jr. on it. Regardless he loves it! We had also bought the "Night Before Christmas" and had honestly read it every night by request and tears only!!! It wasn't until July that I had finally had enough and felt like I would hate Santa for the rest of my life and had to pull the plug on the nightly Santa music, and the Night Before Christmas. The Elf Child seriously cried every night and nap time asking for his "Santa Music" but I just couldn't bring myself to give, I really needed to take a break from Santa!!! After a while the constant asking stopped but occasionally he would ask for his "Santa Music" and "Santa Book".

About a week ago we were tucking him in and he looked up and said "Mom, is it Kissmas time yet, I miss my Santa music." I had to hold off for another week so at least we would be in the month of October, but last night I busted out with Santa music and the Night Before Christmas and am pretty sure we will be hearing and reading of Santa until I again reach my limit and must take a couple of months leave from Santa. He just went down for a nap but took his Santa book with him after we read it, and it is tucked in the bed laying next to him like it is a person. All I can say is PRICELESS!

All that to say, I am convinced that my mom is part Elf. She might have Irish, but I have no doubt that there is a secret Elf gene in there somewhere. I think the Elf gene might skip a generation but I have seen the evidence and my son definitely possesses the gene. I am not sure if he is considered a human child or an elf child, but I am hopeful that this means he will be eligible for more college scholarships when the time comes! The great news is at least my mom, Pixy, and Gentry can appreciate Santa together or as long as their families will allow it! I think Buddy said it best in the movie Elf, "It's just nice to meet another human that shares my affinity for elf culture"

5 comments:

Nominate someone or something in need said...

your cracking me up b/c we TOO are already listening to Christmas music...Kelsey has wanted to since July...uhhhhh what we do as mothers:) miss you:))) give everyone kisses for me...

Nikki said...

OH MAN! It starts already. I think that is super cute though! You will always have to deck the halls now. It sounds like Gentry would stand for nothing less! Also please tell your mom if she runs out of room to spread her Christmas spirit my house is always open. I too love decorating for Christmas. If Adam would let me my house would already be decorated. But I had to settle for fall decorations instead. We miss you guys! Tell the whole family hi!

Brooke said...

Hey Ash! I found your blog off Macks...just wanted to give a little shout out that I'm coming in for two weeks and would love to see you Oct 10th-25th. And don't you worry, if we can't find time...I will be permanently residing in CO come Feb!! YAY! Hope to see you soon!

Brooke said...

oh this is Brooke Faulkner in case you know another Brooke...

Mackenzie Turrill said...

He is the cutest, sweetest elf-child we know!!! :) love, Tink and the turrills