Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Thoughts on the Elections...

For me this election was more than an election on the economy.  While the economy, war in Iraq, education, and so on are definite factors in my political stance; what is more important than anything else is America's constant choice to turn away from God.  Let me preface this blog with saying I do NOT believe one political party is the representation of Christ.  

When Jeff and I worked with Student Venture (a high school ministry), I was burdened with the realization of what a small percentage of students believed in God, and what an even smaller percentage actually walk with Christ.  I began to think of this in relation to raising my own son.  Since sweet Gentry was born, I was pretty laid back, this began to change as I realized "I will be raising my precious son among all of this."  When Gentry gets to high school, how will I convince him not to have sex-when our schools and society teach and preach the exact opposite; drugs, drinking, and beyond trivial matters... loving others as Christ did and reaching them with the good news.  I can hear the wise words of other moms who have gone before me (mom, corri, my grandma) you pray, you trust God.  But let's be honest... What kind of mom would I be if I didn't worry about these things.  

To bring this thought full circle, politics is a reflection of our personal beliefs.  More and more we see our nation constantly drift from the Godly foundation that our Four Fathers set before us.  We have just elected a man who supports partial birth abortions. What will our President support when Gentry is 16?  My initial thought is... If we want a bigger government (like Obama wants), why not put it to good use?  Let's invest in the lives of young girls, helping them realize how special they are, let's show what a precious gift a baby is to family who can't have a baby, let's love people and invest in them, not the policy and issues.  While nice thoughts, I am afraid this was the last frontier for some of those issues including abortion.  The trend is each generation moves farther and farther away from Christ, and with an administration like the one America just elected, I think that will hold true.  

All is not lost though...  God is sovereign and knew the outcome of this election and everyone to come.  We are still His children, and yes I am believing He will hear my prayers, especially the ones about my little man!  While I am disappointed with the outcome (although I must admit McCain was not my first pick either!)  life goes on, and in four years I have another chance to voice my opinion, and don't worry I will!  

2 comments:

Nikki said...

So true Ash! We have been a blessed nation for a long time but we are also a nation who has done everything to get rid of God. I mean, we can't even have Christmas anymore. We have "holiday trees" and "winter break". I believe that God has a plan. He is with us on the mountain tops and in the valleys. We have to put our faith in that. 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sins and will heal their lands." It's time for Christians everywhere to unite and start putting God back in this nation.

Nominate someone or something in need said...

YES!!! we are SOOO EXCITED about the RED RAIDERS!!! isnt that crazy??? We actually went to the Texas game...drove all day Sat. and came back Sun morn...but was SO worth it!!!! i hear you guys have a full house:) i admire your PATIENCE!!!! love you guys!!!