Friday, September 11, 2009

Favorite Conversation of the Day...on 9/11

Gentry is visiting my parents this week. My mom said that all morning they have had the news on and been watching things about 9/11 and the war in Iraq. My parents have a some antique things from my grandparents and a little canister of really neat old canes. She had to take Nate his lunch and took G with her but before they left, they had this conversation...

Babi: "Gentry let's go take Nate his lunch"

G: "But Babi, I really need to a cane"

Babi: "You don't need a cane, come on let's go"

G: "But Babi I really do need a cane before I can go"

Babi: "Why do you need a cane?"

G: "Because, I was in the army"

At this point my mom was just ready to go and grabbed a cane out of the canister and gave it to him hoping it would make the trip quicker and easier. Mom said as soon as she handed it to him, he started leaning on it and limping as he walked to the car.

Babi: "Gentry did you get hurt when you were in the army or something?"

G: "Ya...I got shot. I didn't have any big guns so I got shot. My daddy had big guns when he was in the army so he didn't get shot, but I didn't have those big guns so I got shot"

She said he walked into Kindergarten with the cane, never even blinking an eye, because... today he is a soldier in the army.

I actually got a little teary when my mom told me. Besides his imagination being the most entertaining thing in my life, I was thinking of all the days to pretend to be a soldier, what a fitting day he picked.

I am so thankful for all of those who have served to keep us safe from another terrorist attack. I am also so burdened by the thought of all the people who will forever spend this day remembering the great loss of their loved ones. I can't imagine what this day presents for all those families, my prayers and tears are with them today.

I can remember sitting on my aunt's couch crying just watching the footage play over and over again. It was my freshman year at NMSU and all of our classes were canceled. I have always loved politics, and been a very patriotic person, but that day forever changed they way I view the world. Thank you again for everyone who has served to keep us safe, including my sweet hubby. And to the people who have lost loved ones, may God hold you closely today as you mourn your loss. Although I am on the verge of tears and my heavy heart feels so sad, today I am proud to be an American, and so thankful God gave my the opportunity to say that.

No comments: