Monday, February 4, 2013

Baby We'll Roll With It: Part 2

When I originally started my last "Baby we'll Roll with It" post, it was supposed to be about what I'm writing about now, but instead it turned a little mushy thinking about how blessed my life has been with Jeff by my side.  Today it's strictly business and I won't stray I promise!

I have mentioned our landlord Kathia and her children Gabriel 10 and Katherine 3 many times in my blogs because in the 3 short weeks we have been here, they literally have become what I would call dear friends.  It's kinda crazy how much we love them and enjoy being with them (hopefully the feeling is mutual as I get the feeling it is).  Besides including us in her family life, she has brought Jeff along to some business meetings and he has started doing some videos and design work with local connections that she has down here in Jaco.  It's been incredible to see how easily things have fallen into place for him regarding extra work down here.  He is still of course working on Investorials, but at night and on weekends is putting time into the local work.  Hmmmm, it's like God wanted him to be down here working or something?  Na that's just crazy talk! 

We have also been exchanging English lessons for Spanish lessons!  Kathia gives Gentry and I a Spanish lesson in the morning and then I take Katherine for an hour and teach her English because she solely speaks Spanish.  It's been working out really great for both of us.  Last week that all changed because Kathia's normal babysitter came home from the grocery store without Katherine!!!  She said "oh it's okay it was just easier to leave her with the lady at the store so I could run home and see what kind of bread you wanted, I'm going to get her now"  WHAT????  I don't care what culture your from that's just ridiculous!!  She's 3!!!  Kathia nearly had a heart attack understandably!!  That night she spoke with Jeff and I and told us what happened and was just beside herself.  It was also in the middle of one of her busiest weeks because she had 3 huge events for Superbowl Sunday that she had to run.  She asked if I could start watching Katherine because she loved being with me and Kathia knew she could trust me with her.  What's a girl to do?  I of course said yes.

It's probably not mine to share at this point, and I hope to share it someday, but if you knew the story of this amazing women Kathia, you would understand why there was no way I could possibly say no to her.  She is quite simply incredible.  Being around her truly inspires me to be a better and stronger, woman and mom.  

In the back of my head I hear all the reasons I shouldn't commit to something like this.  We just moved here, I am focusing on spending time with my own family,  I don't like babysitting in fact it's one of the jobs I like the least (unless it's a kid we know really well and Gentry likes playing with them, or if I have ever watched your kid don't worry I love them I promise!)  I hear all the people who preach about boundaries and how important they are and blah blah blah.  I know boundaries are important and my own sanity and my own family come before anything or anyone else.  At the same time I can't help but think of why God put me in this ridiculously tiny apartment of all the apartments in Jaco, with a family I am growing to love, and a passion to help the most vulnerable in my community.  It's no accident that our paths have crossed with Kathia and I can't guiltlessly walk away from not helping her, as I mentioned before she is an incredible woman who's been on a road full of hardship and needs an opportunity to succeed.  Who am I to stand in God's way right?  

With that said...keeping an adorable, feisty  screaming, no schedule, spanish speaking only sweet little girl, is not exactly what I planned moving down here to Costa Rica!  The last week has been nothing short of crazy!  She has joined Gentry and I for school and does English with me when I get Gentry started on a couple of projects.  She speaks 90 miles a minute and I have absolutely no spankin clue what she is saying 98% of the time, she hates napping although is a BEAR when she doesn't sleep, won't go to sleep before 11 (this weekend we kept her 2 nights while Kathia had late night events), thinks she runs the house which she kinda does :), screams to get your attention when your talking with someone else, loves swimming, loves pintar (I have learned means painting), has a little crush on G and follows him around everywhere, and for some odd reason loves being with me everyday even though neither of us know what the other one says...it's quite odd.  

For the next 2 weeks while we are still living here, she will be hanging with G and I most of everyday and probably on the weekends too.  It's definitely added a level of crazy to our lives, but one that I truly think is worth "Rolling with it".  When we move to our new house about a 10 min walk from here, Katherine will come over all day for a couple days a week and be with us.  If your feeling generous in your prayer time please pray for Kathia to see immediate success at her new job.  It is all commission but she has lot's of opportunity with the company and they love her!  Jeff is working with her on some marketing materials and helping out with some events she is having so we are just praying it provides quickly for her family!  We love our new Tico friends that are quickly becoming our Tico family!

Katherine sleeping at the grocery store with her thumb in her mouth and all!

Morning English/Math class for these two cuties!

She's very studious 

G takes a while to warm up to people, but she is definitely growing on him :)  She LOVES having "escuela" in the mornings with him!

A little Dora to help me get G going on Spelling.

G is really adjusting to homeschool and is very motivated to get everything done  so we can head to the beach :)

Katherine wanted to read the 3 little pigs...

So I read the ENTIRE 13 page story on my own.  Who knows if  I said any of it right but she didn't seem to mind!

A little bonding over a kiddie pool

Jeff occasionally joins the kids for a round of Just Dance :)  I love his playful spirit, it keeps us young and life always entertaining!




A video of G and Katherine doing Just Dance.  They can entertain themselves for at least an hour doing this, which means it's awesome for me!









No comments: