Friday, February 8, 2013

The plague of the Costa Rican grocery stores and non-traditional taxi drivers!

Yes, it's true I am indeed writing about the grocery store again!  Saturday when they boys were at the arcade, Courtney, Katherine and I headed to Maxi Pali which is a Wal-Mart-ish kind of store. Definitely the biggest in Jaco.  We had to take a taxi to get there because it's on the far end of town and walking with all those groceries would be less that ideal.  Katherine fell asleep while we were shopping so the visit was quiet, we found mostly everything we were hoping to get, and all was well in my book until we went to check out.  

It was at this point that the clerk asked Courtney for her ID.  She didn't have hers and they said they wouldn't let her pay without.  I didn't have mine either so I couldn't pay either.  Now mind you I was here about a week ago and they asked for my ID, which I didn't have either and the guy shrugged and let me pay, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  You might be asking yourself "why would you not have your ID with you?"  I know that's what my mom will ask when she reads this post.   In all honesty I'm not really sure why that is a common occurrence in my life, but it is. Any-hoo the lady was a stickler, there was no way we were getting out of the store with those groceries!   Sad!!  

So we left our 2 buggies of food behind and told them we would be back to pick everything up after we went back home and got our ID's.  Standing in the parking lot we were wondering if taxi's would be as common there since it was on the edge of town.  Oh but have no fear (or maybe a little) a guy walked up and asked if we needed a taxi.  We said yes and he went and got in his normal car...sketchy much?  When he pulled up Courtney asked him if he was a taxi driver cause he didn't have the normal red car that most taxi's are in Jaco.  He said yes and we skeptically got in.  

So before I go on with the story to tell how we safely got home, I have to tell you my exit/kick some bad guy butt plan (Jeff insist that I have one of these in the back of my mind at all times, and I have come to think of myself as awesome as Liam Neeson on the movie Taken.  I occasionally imagine myself taking out a whole host of bad guys by out smarting them to save myself and Gentry, I actually think I'm pretty prepared to do so, it's the country girl in me that just comes out in instances of emergency)  just in case he started driving off with us 3 cute girls.  The minute Mr.  Non-Traditional taxi driver took one wrong turn I was going to quick as a flash wrap my arms around his neck locking them around each other choking him, which would make him start grabbing at my arms trying to breath, let go of the wheel and let his foot of the gas peddle trying to help himself.  I would continue to choke him out until the car was either wrecked or slow enough that Courtney and Katherine could jump out and start running, I would hold 5 sec more and if the dude was still alive, I would have about 2 seconds to jump out of the car to start running after Courtney and Katherine.  Then we would flag down the next car or run to a house to call the police.  Mr. Non-traditional wouldn't even know what hit him!  How's that for awesomeness Liam?

Okay back to reality.  The guy took us safely to my house (lucky for him), I grabbed my ID and Carlos (the family friend) offered to drive us back to the store to pick up all our groceries.  Finally we were headed home will all of our groceries and the taxi driver's head intact.  At the end of our excursion we could laugh at how ridiculous the whole ordeal was, and be thankful that I didn't have to take a bad guys life.  All in all I would call it a success.  

What to choose, what to choose?

Bummer faces in the non-traditional taxi.  Don't worry one eye was on the camera and one was on the road, it's a skill I have perfected over the years in training for beating up guys.  

We finally have food!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps an emergency plan in the back of my mind! Way to go!