Monday, May 18, 2009

A New Super-Hero has Emerged...

While Gentry still loves Spidey, Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Capin Hook, Capin Jack, and every other superhero there is, he has discovered a real life superhero in his own home!  Lately at night Gentry has been asking questions about when he was born and "little" (since now he is so old, wink, wink!) and is really interested in the fact that dad was gone "fighting bad guys" when I was pregnant, and when he was "a little bitty tiny baby".  Jeff recently took out some pictures to show Gentry, and as you can tell from the look on his face, he was mesmerized by every word Jeff told him.  When Jeff showed G a picture of himself standing next to his 50 Cal, Gentry all but stopped breathing and couldn't quit asking questions about it and commenting, "daddy was that your gun? Did you shoot that? That is big like the "Credible Hulks" gun."  He then turned to me and said "Mom this is just my dad's big gun, he shoots it at bad guys"

Of course G thinks his dad is great, but all of a sudden Jeff became all the things that Gentry is obsessed with...Super-heros, only this one lives in his house, and isn't a cartoon!  What a great dad Gentry has, and how  sweet that Gentry and I both appreciate what Jeff has done for us, but on two entirely different levels.  With Memorial Day just around the corner it has made me really thankful for Jeff's service, and yet even more thankful that he is home to share his stories and experiences with his son, who loves every minute of every story!!!  How gracious God was to us, and how much I feel the need to pray for those who are still serving and those who have lost loved ones.  May God never let us forget what He gave us, and how blessed I truly am to be raising Gentry along side my best friend.



2 comments:

Mackenzie Turrill said...

There are seriously no words for how sweet that is...that last picture is precious! What a moment :)

J Prude said...

I'm typing this with tears in my eyes-tell Jeff thanks for me too, please. My nephew is about to be deployed to Iraq in August, leaving his 18 year old wife in Hawaii with their 2 1/2 year old son. His sister will be going soon after that, very soon after getting married. It will be her second tour. It is such a sacrifice both for the soldier and their families, and thank you for reminding me of the debt of gratitude we owe all of you.
Jessica