Monday, January 28, 2013

Dinner on Calle de Pops

One of the most overwhelming things since we have been here has been the whole food situation.  Of course they have grocery stores and restaurants and I can get mostly anything I want.  BUT it's all in Spanish, it looks different, taste different, and there isn't a McDonalds on every other corner for default to in case we are in crunch.  If we are going to eat out we would actually have to go to a real restaurant to sit and eat.  The penny pincher (AKA Jeff) is not going to be down to spending money on eating out like that so I am left to figure things out in a hurry!

The dilema I have with that is quick decisions are literally my worst enemy!  Unless I have time to think, plan, compare, research, and have plenty of time to feel confident in my decisions, I feel overwhelmed, discouraged, and seriously regret whatever decision I make.  This disease is very frustrating at times, but I have learned to live with the disease and so most times just try and prepare myself before hand.  I say this with all kidding aside, mundane decisions in life are literally the bane of my existence...unless of course I have time to make a good one that I'm sure of...especially at the grocery store!

At home I know what we normally get but if I don't have my list and know exactly what I need, it's a catastrophe!  I come home and have at least a bag worth of stuff I have no idea why I bought it, we don't need it, I'm frustrated cause we have random stuff we don't need, didn't get what I did need, and Penny Pincher is mad cause I spent too much money!  Seriously the grocery store is a dilema even at home if not prepared!  Times that by 10 and just imagine my overwhelmed mind walking through a grocery store: I can't read anything, all I hear is people talking a language I don't know so I can't ask for clarification, Gentry at my hip asking me if he can get whatever the heck that is he's holding up in front of me, Kathia and the kids waiting for me outside cause they were giving us a ride home from church and we didn't want to walk with all of our groceries, and Jeff asking me why I picked this kind of whatever the heck that is instead of that kind!  Ya my first grocery store visit ended in tears rolling down my cheeks, leaving the cart behind in the middle of the aisle, Gentry still asking if he could have that thing...whatever it was, and Jeff standing there realizing his wife was overwhelmed in a new country trying to survive the best she could in one of the situations she hates more than anything even at home in the familiar King Soopers store.  Needless to say both boys backed off a bit, the people in the store thought I was the crazy American, and Jeff finished the shopping while I took G outside to sit with Kathia and the kids and eat ice cream.  

Since then life with food is slowly getting better.  Let me emphasize the SLOWLY!  Today was a success :)  I headed down the street to the fruit/veggie stand ALONE and came out feeling like a million bucks :)  Here are some pictures from my journey 100 meters down from our house!





This is a local restaurant on our street, these are what the common "restaurant" looks like here and they all serve the same thing.  Gallos pinto with a little slice of variety but not much :)  The other pic is just the street view down Calle de Pops as you walk out of our apartment complex.



This is the skate park right next door that Gentry is dying to go to.




And here is the fruit/veggie stand right down the road!  It's no Whole Foods but it's working for me!


Look at all the fruit/veggies and all the decisions I had to make!  Thank goodness Jeff and Gentry weren't with me, it could have been another "Mega Super" experience!


After 20 minutes or so of deliberating this is all I came home with :)  I felt very happy of myself :)  I'm learning to only get what we need for the next day or so cause I can just walk to the market for some more healthy fresh treats.  This is helping to eliminate some of the anxiety I feel about going to the store here :)





This was the beginning of my gallo pinto (the rice and bean Costa Rican dish that Kathia taught me to make)  Turned out pretty good :)  We were all to hungry when dinner was finally made so I didn't get any pics of the finished product!









No comments: