Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Doggy Do, or Doggy Poo?

In the States it is a well known common courtesy for dog owners to pick up their dog's poop wherever that might be.  In Latin America that is not a common courtesy.  Since we have been here I have packed doggie doodoo bags everywhere we go and pick up MP's poop whenever she lays it down.  Our neighbor boy Gabriel is 10 years old and literally on 3 different occasions has told me I am weird for picking up her poop, and that all the other Costa Ricans think I am really weird because; why would you pick up a dogs poop?  I get it, they don't pick up poop around here, I'm fine with that, but is it really okay for me to not pick up my dog's poop here?  I mean I just wonder if in some capacity I would be seen as the "rude American who doesn't pick up her dogs poop! She just walks around like she owns the place, her and that stupid dog!"  (I have crazy thoughts that role through my mind everyday, I can't help it, it's just me)  

I have picked up every single poop, until the other day when Jeff, Gentry, Gabriel and I were out.  We were walking to the beach and of course MP has to stop for a little business on the way.  Gabriel instantly starts saying "don't pick up the poop just leave it, it is weird when you pick it up, I'm serious"  He went on and on, and so I caved...which might have been okay for my conscious except for the next day when we were walking to the beach and I saw the business she had left the day before on the side of the street with a foot print in it!  Good Golly Moses I felt horrible!  I'm sure it was some poor soul on their way to or from work and they were cursing the entire rest of the way about the "stupid Americans that bring their blankety blank dogs down here like they own the place".

For me to be able to sleep that night, I had to keep telling myself that the person who stepped in the poop was a complete jerk face vacationing here trying to pick up chicks all day long at the beach only to be rejected, and then stepped in a pile of poo on the way home and cried himself to sleep.  I felt a little bit better when I reframed the situation like that (reframing is a technique I like to use often in my life).  

I feel like a choice to make here.  Do I ostracize myself as a full blown crazy American and let all the Costa Ricans think I am weird, or do I blend in to the culture and risk being thought of as the rude American that doesn't pick up her dogs poop?  Please weigh in the poll on the top of my blog, I need some feedback!

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Against your nature...compromise. Remove the turd from traffic, then let it go.

Unknown said...

I`m also thinking that you really have changed your life for this poop situation to become a matter worthy of international concern or...that darn dog must drop monster logs the size of a clydesdale`s.

Unknown said...

You would be amazed at the size of her poop...I can't even imagine when she is full grown!!

Mackenzie Turrill said...

Three words Ash: "When in Rome" :)

Unknown said...

Hahaha Kenz I love it!!