Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Favorite Conversation of the Day

I think moving to Costa Rica has heightened some inner creativity and adventurous spirit in Gentry.  Even just the little bit we have been here, he is so interested in seeing more and learning more about different places, things, and people and every once in a while will ask "when are we going to go visit a new country?"  Which is great because the child was not so enthusiastic when we left!  I have a trip planned to Nicaragua with some ladies at the beginning of April to visit some Safe Houses and go to a training on sex trafficking, and Gentry has said numerous times "That's not fair that you get to visit Nicaragua and I just have to stay home in Costa Rica.  (Ya we all feel really sorry for you G, said in the most sarcastic tone possible)  We have been learning about Panama since we will visit there later this year, and have just started reading about the Mayan's and Aztecs which originated in Central America.    

It's so fun to learn about although I think in Gentry's mind there is so much to do in so little time, at least that's what this conversation made me think, along with the fact he feels a need to be adventurous with his best buds :)

G: "Mom I just don't think I can ever get married."
Me: "Why's that?"
G: "Well if I get a wife, I got to work, and have kids, and all that stuff you gotta do when you get married.  I'm just not ready for all that.  I mean I wanna live with Wyatt for like a long time.  We are gonna be roommates when we go to college and we are just gonna wanna do all kinds of crazy stuff you know, like stuff that if I had a wife she wouldn't like at all, and I don't think I can live with Wyatt if I get a wife"  
I was about to chime in when he continued on his monologue.  
G: "Actually me, Wyatt, and Asher are gonna live together and we will probably just go on a new adventure everyday.  Like one day we might just wake up and be like hey lets go surfing, so we will go surfing.  Then the next day we might be like hey lets go climb some mountains or something, and then next day we might just want to go visit China or something, I don't think a girl is gonna wanna go on an adventure everyday like that."
Me: "I think those are good plans and it sounds really fun.  I also know that there might be girls out there who like adventures just like you do.  (Before I could get another word out)
G: "Ya but it's not the same.  I mean like Wyatt and Asher and me are all really fun and would just like be laughing the whole time and and...I just kinda want to have fun with my best friends before I have to have kids and like work and be all responsible...you know what I mean?  
Me: "I totally know what you mean, and I think that's a good plan.  And your right when you get married and have kids you definitely have to be more responsible and work." :)
G:  "Ya I know, and I mean I think kids are fun and all cause you and dad think I'm really fun and like really love me and all, but I'm just not ready for that kind of responsibility"

Dear Gentry in 10 years,
I will remind you of this conversation when you are all googly eyed in love with some cute little high school senior girl.  Remember these are your thoughts not mine and dad's. You are a very insightful adventurous soul that wants to live life just a little bit before you settle down with your high school sweetheart.  There is a season for everything and right now is your time to go explore the world, find out who you are, and enjoy your best buds as you all go on adventures everyday.  In a couple of years you will be much more ready to settle down with your sweetie and be a responsible husband and dad.  It is then that you will begin the greatest season of your life, until then live it up and be the adventurous boy you have always been.  
Love,
Your mom (who met her sweetheart at the age of 17 and was married by 19, but thats beside the point because we are talking about you not us and it's really not statistically in your favor to get married that young although after almost 10 years of marriage I love your dad and his baby blue eyes more than the day we got married, and we grew up together and created our own adventures together married and with a sweet little blonde boy in tow and given the chance would do it all again.  Never mind any of that though these are different times and we want you to do as we say not as we did :))
-That's going to be a fun conversation some day right???????

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I love this conversation!!!!! I think it could work well for me too in a couple of years. I'll just remind Asher of all the fun & awesome plans that G has for them....and that G said a wife could really damper things. I'll do my best to not let Asher mess up the plans ;) We miss you guys and I'm reading this to Ash so soon as he gets home from school. LOVE!!!!