Monday, March 18, 2013

Grandpa Swanson aka "Little Swanie"

Last Saturday we got home from the beach and had received an email from Jeff's dad saying that Grandpa Swanson or as Gentry called him "Little Swanie" had passed away.  We were of course so sad and instantly filled with the desire to be closer to those we love.  I'm convinced no matter how much time you spend with someone or how great your relationship is with someone, when they pass away you can't help but let your mind go through the film real of how you wish you would have spent a little more time with them, said I love you just a couple more times, or listened to their stories just a few more times.  

After looking at tickets, trying to juggle schedules, and all that comes with traveling out of the country with a family, ultimately it made the most sense for Jeff to go without G and I.  I was so sad to not be there to see Gramish and give her hug and just tell her I love her.  I'm so sad to never hug little swanie here on this earth again, yet I find peace in remembering his long life lived well with a beautiful life long partner and knowing he now sits in Heaven watching over all of us that he loved on earth.  I'm also sad that sweet Gram's life will be so significantly different from here on out.  With that said she is a strong amazing woman with a family that loves her so I know she will carry on, it will just be without her partner in crime, the one she has loved for so many years.  We love you so much Gram and will be praying for you in the weeks, months, and years to come.  Can't wait to see you and hug your neck!

Before Jeff left for the California, Gentry drew Gram a picture.  When he told me what he wanted to draw, I tried my hardest to redirect his artist ability.  He said he wanted to draw Little Swanie's grave with Gram and Jeff standing around it.  For some reason it seemed a little inappropriate and I encouraged him to draw something more encouraging like Heaven or something that Little Swanie or Gram liked,  but if you know my son and you know the mind of a true artist you know that when his mind is made up, it's a done deal.  Below is the picture he drew, and after all was said and done, it was probably one of the sweetest gestures he could have given to Gram.  

The words say:
"I am really sad I will miss little swanie I am so happy he is in Heaven" 
His gravestone reads: "Boyd  See you in Heaven"

The picture is also sweet it's of Gram and Jeff at Little Swanie's grave.  Jeff is wearing a vest with some sort of superhero shirt on and looks a bit like a robber :)  This might be one of my favorite pictures he has ever drawn.  Maybe I need to start trusting his sweet compassionate heart and artistic ability just a little more.  


Jeff left Thursday and will be back Tuesday.  We are surviving without him but of course Gentry got really sick the night Jeff left.  He broke out in this weird rash, running fever, and got an ear infection!  Awesome being that I don't even know where the Dr's office is, have a car to drive my sweet boy, or understand a word that they would tell me anyways!  Luckily we have already made some great friends down here who know the ropes and said to call them anytime of the night or day and they would come pick me and G up.  She also took me to see a retired Dr. that lives down here and owns a couple of properties now.  She looked him over and said he most likely got a weird virus from the red tide that recently came through Jaco.  Her recommendation...absolutely no swimming in the ocean or swimming pool until Monday.  You might as well have told G his arm had to be amputated for 2 days, it was pretty brutal.  At the same time I loved that we actually had some down time.  There is so much to do here, and Jeff and Gentry literally feel like their life isn't complete without a daily dose of surfing so I seriously can't even remember the last day we didn't go to the beach.  G and I stayed home, watched movies, walked down to a local art fair going on, and took it easy all weekend.  It was a blessing for both of us.  

Little Swanie's memorial service is today and I'm sure it will be a sweet celebration of a great man.   We will remember the great memories we have with him, and think of sweet Gram from afar.


Gramish and Little Swanie got to be there Gentry's first week of kindergarten and watch him get on the bus and all that fun school stuff.  What a blessing Gentry got to have his great grandparents there when he started school!




Jeff and Little Swanie shared a special connection because they both served overseas in the military.  Jeff loved hearing grandpa tell his war stories, and equally grandpa loved hearing Jeff's war stories.  


Probably one of my favorite pictures of all time.  Little Swanie was actually the name that grandpa and grandma called Gentry, but it got a little mixed up in Gentry's mind and he thought that grandpa was little swanie :)  So grandpa has been Little Swanie for the last couple of years, what a sweet name for your great grandpa, even if it was meant for you :)




1 comment:

Don Wilcox said...

Great post Ash. Love G's card and all the special photos of you guys with Boyd and Vi.